Rave Tapes | #03 – GRRD
GRRD is Gerard O’Brien, Derry born DJ who currently resides in Manchester. GRRD is the co-founder/resident of the club night BEKUZ. GRRD also a holds down a residency at one of Manchester’s leading nights ZUTEKH. Recently played Ministry of Sound in London, The Warehouse Project and Hideout Festival in Croatia.
Describe your mix: A collection of club music that I was playing a lot over the summer, some old and some new. I also tried to include similar stuff that you would hear at one of our BEKUZ parties. I think it could have been better but I say that about every mix I record “Can I do it again???”
Favourite DJ: BEN UFO
One of the best on the scene and has been for some while. Such a consistent DJ who has seriously impressed me every time I have seen him play. He is also very humble guy which I like a lot. It was a special moment when I got the chance to warm up before him and Pearson Sound at Celtronic 2014.
Favourite Producer: Burial
I think everyone that knows me knows that I am obsessed with Burial. His music gives you nostalgia for something you have never experienced or were a part of and raises emotions that you didn’t know you had (pretty deep) Give me vinyl hiss, rain samples, and stretched vocal samples and I’m happy.
Favourite Record Label: Night Slugs
Night Slugs is the label that I have loved for a few years. Their music their artwork and their ethos. I always felt they were pushing the envelope for club music in the UK. With the likes of Bok Bok, L-Vis 1990 and Jam City all leading the line it’s clear to see why.
Best DJ you have heard in last 12 months:
There has been too many to choose from so I am going to pick a few sets that have stood out.Dixon Avenue Basement Jams at Zutekh / Soup Kitchen = One of my favourite Zutekh parties ever, I had the pleasure of warming up for Jasper James & D.A.B.J. TAPS AFF and Straight Rum all night. (The Dixon Avenue boys know how to enjoy themselves). Moxie at The Warehouse Project = This was the first time I got to catch a Moxie set, and was seriously impressed. I had heard a lot about her previously and she lived up to all the hype. A unique blend of UK orientated music.
My Nu Leng w/ Tonn Piper at Hideout Festival = I was stage managing at Hideout Festival so when I saw that My Nu Leng were on my stage I was really excited. The English duo brought their A game at Hideout. Some were calling it the set of the festival, bringing out all sorts of bassline fun. I couldn’t stop smiling through their whole set!
Best Live Act you have heard in last 12 months: Siriusmodeselektor
I am a big Modeselektor fan and have seen them perform live and DJ on many occasions, I also had the chance to see them perform when they did their MODERAT at the start of last year. When I found out they were performing as Siriusmodeselektor with Siriusmo at Parklife I knew I had to catch them. As expected they served up their twisted blend of electronic music with warped visuals. A must see!!!
1) Denis Sulta – She Make Me Feel (Like I Never Sinned) [Dixon Avenue Basement Jams]
2) Chesus – Thunder & Lightning feat. The Organ Grinder (Original Mix) [4Lux Black]
3) Acid Mondays – One Fat Drum [Deep Vibes]
4) Brothers Vibe – Manos Libre [Jersey Underground]
5) Steve Poindexter & Armando – Blackholes (The Sun of God Remix) [Muzique Records]
6) Minor Science – Glamour (Original Mix) [Whites]
7) Gregory Shiff & Stewart Walker – Egyptian Cartoons (Original Mix) [Persona]
8) Florian Kupfer – SAD 001 A [SADE]
9) B.Workin’ Happily – Feel it (Cajmere’s Underground Goodies Mix) [Cajual Records]
10) DJ Assassin – A Face In The Crowd (Intellidread Mix) [Cross Section Records]
11) Armand Van Helden – Psychic Bounty Killaz – feat. DJ Sneak (Original Mix) [Warner Bros. Records]
12) Perc – Take Your Body Off (Tessela Remix) [Perc Trax]
13) Trus’me – I Want You (Alan Fitzpatrick Remix) [Prime Numbers]
14) Fabrizio Lapiana – 1003B [M_REC LTD]
15) Burial – Untitled [Hyperdub]